Design and Construction of Diplomatic Facilities at Sather Air Base in Baghdad
The brief summary of the project:
The core of the project scope involved the installation and retrofitting of government furnished (GF) PODs. These CHU POD’s are grouped in two types of pods: dry CHU pods and wet CHU pods. Both types of pods feature central “safe havens,” which consist of doors and walls capable of resisting forced entry for five minutes. The CHU’s are double-stacked over concrete foundations. An overhead protective cover (OPC) system is erected over each pod.
|Project Type||Design – Build|
|Project Location||Baghdad, IRAQ|
|Owner||US Department of State, OBO|
|Project Start||16 February 2012|
|Project End||18 April 2013|
|Contract Value||119,182,971.68 $|
This structure is comprised of steel columns anchored on concrete foundations, and supports a platform over which three (3) layers of 1/2-inch thick ballistic resistance fiberglass (also referred to as E-glass) are set, as well as a ‘pre detonation’ roof system made of corrugated metal.
Each CHU pod is served by laundry units and a network of utilities, including domestic water, sanitary sewer, fire protection, technical security systems, telecommunication system, and CATV. Climate control within each housing unit is provided by split air conditioning units.
The project infrastructure includes construction of Technical Security Systems (TSS), Installation of the waste water treatment plant and all associated equipment including all associated pumps/lift stations, controls, and main site piping up to and including wet and dry CHU POD connections, installation of all necessary 11kV transmission materials and equipment, installation of 2 (ea) 250,000 gallon GFE water tanks and connect them to the existing ROWPUs, Medical Waste Incinerator, construction of all underground site utilities (fire alarm, telecom, sprinkler water main, sanitary sewer main, potable water main).
Key Project Quantities:
- Completed 40,000 sqm steel structure,
- Overhead Protective Cover (OPC) Systems over each housing units with ballistic resistance,
- 9,300 m domestic water piping, 3,200 m fire water piping, 9,100 m sewer collection piping,
- Each 250,000 gallons capacity 2 steel bolted tank, 550 cbm/day capacity WWTP,
- 11kV overhead energy transmission line, 20 km low voltage cable for underground power distribution system, 180 km cables for TSS, communication, fire alarm (90 km fiber optic), 120 each camera system installation and commissioning,
- 12 km hot-mix asphalt paved roads with varying widths 6 – 15 m,
- 2,000,000 Safe man-hours with no Lost Time Incidents.
- Ammunition Building